Sunday, December 10, 2006

Lollypop Stick

I decided to have a go at making an Inuit paddle following the general intructions found here

I have to say that I ain't no joiner and I was a bit, no a lot rough. I chewed a lump out of the end with the circular saw then over egged the depth of cut in several places with the wood saw :-)

It all started with a piece of scaffoling board. First cuts were made witha circular saw then not very tidied up with a wood saw, surplane, spokeshave and sandpaper.

The result was something like this.

From Inuit


The sandpaper for the loom is still attached.
As I said the thing is ruff ruff, I forgot to mention the attacks I made on it with a chisel and an axe !!

From Inuit


Anyway here she is after a few coats of Danish Oil.

From Inuit


I don't think I will be trying it out until I have paddled the new boat a wee bit longer.

2 comments:

Douglas Wilcox said...

Muzz, I am really impressed, that looks very professional.

Unknown said...

Although it was a scabby old scaffolding board, the grain still looks nice. The camera has been kind too as you cannot see the 'chewed up' bits.