Thursday, December 14, 2006

Lowering The Seat On P&H Sirius

After reading Douglas Wilcox' writings about improving stability on the P&H boats fitted with a plastic seat, I decided to give it a go.

The first problem was removing the seat. After removing the securing bolts I was able to slide the seat about so it was not glued to the hull but I simply could not get the thing out. I wonder how P&H ever got the thing in there, maybe it's heated up to make it more pliable ?

Drastic measures were needed, I cut it in half !





I then removed the excess foam from underneath. I bought some more M8 bolts, nylock nuts and washers. The seat was replaced and taped back together.



I then added more foam to the front to stabilise the seat, 'glueing' it to the seat with silicon sealant. I think the front part of the seat is close to what it was originally.



The bolts were put in and in the absence of nylon washers I used PTFE tape to make a seal. I screwed nylocks and washers on the inside to fasten the bolts and then another nylock and washer before passing the bolt through the seat, this was to keep the seat pushed down.If this proves too unstable I may add small blocks of foam or wood.



You can see the gap between the seat and the deck in the above pic. There used to be no gap here with the seat bolted hard up against it.

I fitted one more set of nylocks and washers to the underside of the seat.

A small piece of foam was needed at the back.



Everything was tightened up and the seat pad replaced to hide the tape. My butt now sits 40mm nearer the bottom of the boat.

From Seat Lowering


I couln't get out to see the difference today as the weather is crap again.

1 comment:

Douglas Wilcox said...

Well done, I thgink a lot of people will be surprised to see the gap in your photo which represents how much the seat has been dropped. It is not just P&H though. Valley also use one plastic seat to slot into all their boats.

Several of us demoed the Nordkapp LV when it first came out. Even the bigger guys fitted in it. We ordered several and were really surprised when we could not fit in and the light guys found their boat was much less stable than the demo. The seat had changed! I lowered my Nordkapp LV seat and it was transformed. I can fit in it and it has regained the primary stability. My seat bottom is just a couple of mm off the bottom of the boat.